Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Darkling - 081206 Pegan

Ebonee stopped in a circle of tall trees. Look up, she said. See the dark hanging nests high in the canopy? Those are the homes of my people. They are woven of small green vines and strong grasses. Much like the nests of the great winged creatures. High in the trees we gather food in plenty and when the evil winds weaken the nests we come down to the forest floor to gather more vines for the mending.

In the young season we dig roots, sweet plants and worms.

Are your people gone from the nests this night? Dusk asked. No, said Ebonee. They are sleeping. We sleep through the night until the Sun God awakens us. Our God is the Sun. We worship his light.

Then why are you roaming the Jungle this night?

Ebonee sighed. I am sorry for I have deceived you. I cannot take you to my people for I am cast out. I am a lost one.. The one chosen to lure the De-mon.

Dusk shivered. I fear for you, she cried.

Do not fear, came the soft reply. Fear is sharper than the Jag-cats claws. Fear is worse than death. Now come and I will lead you to your tunnels before the Moon is eaten by the clouds.

Will you tell me..what is De-mon? What is a Jag-cat?

I will tell you my story on the way.

I entered the world, one of two. I, Ebonee was first come. Second come was called Obsidia. Obsidia was smaller, weaker. She could not run as swiftly or climb the Nest trees as quickly as I. One day we lingered on the forest floor too long. Too late we heard the De-mon come. I quickly climbed the Nest tree but the De-mon had caught Obsidia in his claws. He took her in the thickets and she is now a Shade.

What is this De-mon?

It is a long black-haired creature with four legs and golden, glowing eyes. He is also called Jag-cat. He fears only Fire. Many of our people have been taken by Jag-cat. The Mother of two fell from the Nest tree during the last great wind. The Jag-cat was waiting below. Mother of two and Obsidia are now Shades.

What are, Shades? Dusk asked as they hurried through the Jungle.

They are the mist of what they once were in life. They come to me only in sleep time. They warn of danger and sometimes they weep and sometimes I wake to find their tears on my face.

Suddenly the sounds of breaking branches, thrashing and squeals echoed around them. They stood still while Ebonee waved the fire branch around them. It is the De-mon, she whispered. He has found his meal for the night.

The Moon has fled, Dusk cried. I am too late! The tunnel has been sealed against me!

Make noise, said Ebonee and they will open it.

No, Dusk cried. You do not know the Shadow ways. I am lost to them forever. The firey eye will burn and char me. Dusk fell on the earthen mound weeping.

Come! said Ebonee. I will take you to a place of safety. It is a small stone cave that was created by the First Ones on Earth. It is in the high rock wall that looks out at your Sea and where can be seen the Norr Star.

No comments: